Ash Wednesday Protocols
Due to COVID-19, Ash Wednesday (February 17, 2021) will be a little different this year. Following are the protocols for this year. Masses will be held at 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.; prayer services will be held at 12:15 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Reservations for Ash Wednesday Masses/Services will open on Sunday, February 7.
- There will only be two people (the Presider and one Extraordinary Minister of Communion) giving ashes at the front of the church.
- The Presider will say the prayer for blessing the ashes.
- The Presider, without saying anything, will sprinkle the ashes with Holy Water.
- The Presider will address the church ONLY ONCE as he/she says "Repent and believe in the Gospel" or "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return."
- The Presider will sanitize his hands, put on his face mask and shield, and distribute ashes.
- The Presider and Extraordinary Minister of Communion will sprinkle ashes on the head of each person without saying anything. (Only a small amount of ash is sprinkled by rubbing the thumb and the forefinger together over the head of the recipient.)
- Hands are then cleansed and sanitized.